Saturday, December 26, 2009

Moving Blues


I’m looking around at everything I have to move and it all seems cemented to the ground. It’s just now hitting me. Even though I’m only moving 2 ½ hours away I feel like my life is being uprooted. I feel like it is changing. When I went backpacking in New Zealand that was not life changing, that trip added to my personal experience.
But now my life is beginning again.

There are silver fish in every cardboard box and my clothes have become an un-climbable mountain on my little twin bed. All the dust is getting kicked up into my face and I’m remembering how the last time I moved I was ready. Now I’m not so sure.

Nothing wants to go into a box! Everything wants to stay in its little place. I want someone to come over and do this for me because it is almost too much work. It is almost too painful. I’m sitting inside just like I sat inside all those days before.

It’s pretty outside but I have no yard to go play in. My new house will have a yard but I think I will feel timid to bring a blanket out there and lay down. I’ve met my new roommates and I think they are nice but will they be freaked out by how I do things? Will composting seem foreign to them? Will they get upset if I play my record player when I’m cleaning up my room? Will I be able to have my friends over?
There is so much I am unsure of. The only thing I am sure of is that it is time. Time for me to move on. I will get stuck here just like every other person I know that is too scared to try something new. I’ve earned this opportunity.

Now I have to figure out what to pack next.

3 comments:

  1. Honey- They sell everything everywhere. So pack what means most to you and don't worry too much about the rest. Life is just one big opportunity to collect more stuff.
    But remember this: Pillows are important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a million pillows and they are all travelling with me. Too bad I can't curl up in the backseat on the way to G-ville. I've got to drive. Thanks for the advice. Your words have inspired me to throw away that collection of fashion magazines I never looked at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, moving is so hard. Packing is a bitch, especially if you don't have someone there telling you to just put it in a box and move on. You must have the attitude of "get-it-done" because otherwise, it is a very painful process, just like you said.

    Call me if I can help in any way. I am busy today, but maybe tomorrow I can help you?

    And about you in your new place- I say you should do exactly what you love to do. I know you aren't going to bother those boys too much, and it will be your home just as much as theirs. I love the idea of you going in your new yard with a blanket and enjoying it. And listening to records while you clean is a must! That's how cleaning is so fun and therapeutic.

    You will be great living in Gainesville, just remember to be true to yourself. I promise it will work out in your favor.

    ReplyDelete