Thursday, January 7, 2010

With the Power of the Banjo, I shall Summon Friends!

It is cold here in Gainesville. Or as the Germans would say: Es ist kalt! I just went outside to take the rest of my clothes out of the dryer. I have to go out the front door and all the way around to the back of the house. And you know what? I do not mind! I haven't had a washer and dryer for the past three years, and now I have one at my disposal. I do not have enough hangers though.

My classes are going well, but I've already been slammed with some homework. I studied today... It's Friday! I learned about digital camera's for my Photographic Journalism class. I also learned how to say the days of the week in German, count to twenty, and tell someone my name.

Guten Tag! Ich heiße Melissa. Wie heißt du? Wie geht es Ihnen?

I feel like my eyes are burning out of their sockets from having to read so much. It doesn't help that I've been glued to my laptop since I moved here. Hey, what can I say? I have no friends yet.

I did make orange juice with Daniel the other day. We picked oranges from our orange tree, and they were a little too ripe. But mix it with water and it tastes just fine!

I researched bluegrass jams in the Gainesville area. Not too much is coming up. I might just bring my travel banjo to school and play in the Plaza of the Americas (a very large green space). People might approach me because they are interested in banjo, and then they will realize they want to be my friend, hang out with me, and study with me... and stuff. It's a foolproof plan, but what if someone asks to play it? I hate it when people ask that. Especially sick people, or people with sticky hands, or people who play mandolin (horrible gasp). Just kidding Jessie!

Plus I have to bike to school... Sigh. Maybe.

I just realized I bought three Toblerone's at CVS. I meant to only buy two. Here is a picture of me attempting to balance a Toblerone on my head. It worked great the first time, the second time... not so much.




6 comments:

  1. I think the banjo plan is a swell idea. And...stuff...may well happen! Go for it!
    P.S. You're so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would stop for a banjo.
    Have a great weekend and try to have a little fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three Toblerones are never a problem, especially when they go so well with your cute haircut.
    I'm sorry you have to bike in the freezing cold. I shiver for you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Moon- Yes, hopefully the banjo plan will be a big success.

    Mel- Sweet! Thanks, and you too. :)

    May- Yeah, it's cold and will only get colder. PS: I read your blog when you update, I love it! Sorry I don't comment, I will try to. You are an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely do not let any mandolin players try to play your banjos! That would be awful. :)

    I like the pictures of you and the Toblerone. I can see how being a gator has turned you into a very intellectual person- balancing chocolate on your head for fun and all. (It's one of my favor pastimes too, even though I'm a nole-girl. Haha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessie- You are so funny!! I love you. Gaaah, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete